What is the Arrigoni Bridge, St John’s Square and Main St Improvements Projects?
The Arrigoni Bridge, St John’s Square and Main St Improvements Projects are Connecticut Department of Transportation (CTDOT) initiatives to rehabilitate the Arrigoni Bridge approach spans and make operational improvements at Saint John’s Square / Main Street intersections in Middletown and Portland. The work consists of replacing the bridge decks, superstructure steel upgrades and repairs as well as substructure repairs to improve the overall structural capacity, reliability and integrity of the bridge. Additionally, a new protective fence system ranging in height from 8 to 12-feet, will also be installed on both the approach and main spans as part of this project.
How long will the project take to complete?
The Improvements at St John’s Square and Main Street Intersections are scheduled to be will be substantially complete by October 31, 2020.
The Arrigoni Bridge project is scheduled to be completed by February 2022.
What will be done to reduce the impact of construction on residents and businesses in the area?
During construction, CTDOT will ensure that residents are informed of construction schedules and potential impacts. All updates and press releases will be posted on this website for public information and awareness. All Public Info Meeting announcements will be posted on this website also.
How many Detours/Stages is the project expected to have?
Work will be conducted in three stages:
- Stage 1 – Move Traffic to the South Side of the Structure & Replace North Side Decks and Sidewalk
- Stage 2 – Move Traffic to the outside lanes and Replace portions of the inside lanes
- Stage 3 – Move Traffic to the North Side of the Structure & Replace South Side Decks and Sidewalk
- Longer Traffic Pattern and Work Zone than the previous project – Increase Work Zone from ~1300 lf to ~3500 lf
Lane Closure Information (Subject to change))
- The contractor will be allowed to interfere with traffic at the below locations during the following hours:
- Route 66 (Main Street): Monday – Friday from 9:00am – 2:00pm and 6:00pm – 6:00am, Saturday and Sunday from 9:00pm – 9:00am
- Route 66 (Washington Street): Monday – Friday from 9:00am – 3:00pm and 6:00pm – 6:00am, Saturday and Sunday from 9:00pm – 9:00am
- Route 17 (Hartford Avenue): Monday – Friday 9:00am – 3:00pm and 6:00pm – 6:00am, Saturday and Sunday from 9:00pm – 9:00am
- Route 17 / 66: Monday – Friday from 8:00pm – 6:00am, Saturday and Sunday from 9:00pm – 9:00am
- SR 545 (Washington Street): Monday – Friday from 9:00am – 3:00pm and 6:00pm – 6:00am, Saturday and Sunday from 9:00pm – 9:00am
Who is on the project team?
The project team was selected by the lead agency, Connecticut Department of Transportation (CTDOT). CTDOT selected Mohawk Northeast, Inc. as the contractor and FIGG to be the Construction Engineering and Inspection consultants.
How much does the Project cost?
The construction contract for this project was awarded to Mohawk Northeast, Inc. at a cost of $46,289,385.04
Can I leave a question or comment in Spanish in the “Contact Us” tab?
Yes. We have Spanish speaking staff available